Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kid Rock is a Hero. Really?

I went to the movies today. I’m not going to bitch and moan about the barrage of commercials shown before the previews even start. I’m just going to express my seething distaste for one particular commercial.

First, this was one of those commercials-marauding as a music video. I’m sure you’ve seen them lately. They’ve been used to pitch sporting events, television shows, and car insurance. While these bursts of faux entertainment are annoying, the display I witnessed at the theater was nothing less than reprehensible. To set the stage: the two ‘stars’ of the video were Kid Rock and Dale Earnhardt Jr. We all know what a phenomenal musician he is. Then there’s the premise of the song. Kid Rock is singing all about being a hero and refusing to back down, no matter what the circumstances. Here’s the best part: the whole production was a shallow, mocking, ‘tribute’ to the National Guard.

I’m sure that some marketing genius did the math. Scruffy, free-living, Pamela Anderson dating ‘rocker’ plus Nascar legacy equals instant admiration from the type of people just itching to be recognized, perhaps by donning a uniform and likely being sent into one of the interminable battle zones the United States has laid claim to around the world.

I’m not sure which I find to be more insulting. Is it the obvious ploy for the affections of lower-middle class middle Americans by the use of pseudo-rugged ‘B’ list celebrities? Or is it the way that one of those so-called celebrities is claiming that he is some sort of civilian hero when the closest thing I’m sure he’s ever come to service is getting head from a groupie in the local ROTC?

I have no problem with the men and women serving in the National Guard. I think that they are an undeniable strength when the country is beset by disaster. I can’t help but admire someone who dedicates time and energy to training all year long. And when those people drop everything to serve within the United States and abroad, that is a selfish act I’m not sure I could match. But why would anyone think it’s appropriate to ply actual heroes with such a condescending attempt at entertainment bribery?

No comments: